Friday 22 February 2013

A Mythbusters-Style Assault On A Battery

A few days ago, I came across an amazing video on YouTube that revealed a little-known secret. Standard AA batteries cost about $5 for a pack of 4, but a 6V lantern battery costing $6-$7 can be broken to reveal 32 AA batteries packed inside! That's a saving of more than $30, or a discount of about 80%...

If Wall Street had been able to exercise such arbitrage, the Global Financial Crisis would have knocked us back to the Stone Age

Intrigued, I decided to check if this was true.

I bought one of those 6V batteries from Woolworths and subjected it to the same reverse-engineering exercise. 


Well, surprise!


It actually had four very non-standard cells inside which I can't really use anywhere else. A shame about the waste, but at least I gained a bit of knowledge for my $6.

Makes one feel a little silly, but anything in the cause of science ;-)

So I guess it all depends on the brand. Some manufacturers seem to use shortcuts that then expose them to the kind of arbitrage that the YouTube video suggests, and others don't.

No comments: